When it comes to chakra work, one of the more difficult aspects for many people is moving the energy through chakras from one to the next. Specifically, from the 3 lower chakras to the 4 higher chakras, and from the higher chakras, all the way up to the highest, the crown chakra.
There are actually a number of ways to accomplish this, through chakra meditation, massage, crystals and yoga.
First we have to remember that our 7 chakras are energy centers, and each chakra is associated with a particular color and type of power. Then we can visualize the energy moving from one to another as we complete our chakra meditation.
The chakras are all connected to each other from root to crown by the central channel, an energy conduit colored white which Ayurveda states is located just in front of the spine.
Our chakras and central channel cannot be seen, as we’re talking about our subtle energy, not our physical body. Learning how to move your chakra energy up and down the central channel as needed can lead to better health, vitality, and improvement in body, mind and spirit.
Table of Contents
How to Move Energy Through Your Chakras
Mentally focus on each chakra first, its location and color:
- Red – Root Chakra
- Orange – Sacral Chakra
- Yellow – Solar Plexus
- Green – Heart Chakra
- Blue – Throat Chakra
- Indigo – Third Eye
- Violet – Crown Chakra
Then imagine the energy moving upwards from the root chakra to the navel, the navel to the solar plexus, and so on.
Once each has balanced and you have moved up each of the lower 3 chakras, you can start to work on the more challenging task of getting the energy up in to the first of the 4 higher chakras, the heart chakra.
As you are meditating, you can touch the location of each chakra to focus the energy and your attention even more. You can also use self-massage, or receive a back massage that moves from root chakra to crown as you meditate.
This guided rainbow meditation can be a very effective way to move energy through the chakras.
Another way to focus the energy is to use chakra stones – crystals that can balance and magnify the energy of each chakra.
Lay on your back and place an appropriate chakra stone on each chakra, one at a time. Alternatively, you can have a partner place them on your back during massage or meditation.
Best Stones for the Chakras
Third Eye Chakra
Solar Plexus Chakra
Kundalini yoga emphasizes mental awareness, breathing, poses, meditation, chanting and bhanda or locks to awaken the essential life force, known as Kundalini energy. Kundalini energy is coiled in the root chakra at the base of your spine and needs to be moved upwards for powerful transformation in your health and vitality.
The most important awareness is that of the breath. Pranayama is the word for breath work in Sanskrit. There are various patterns and ways of breathing that can awaken the chakras. Kundalini yoga adopts “breath of fire,” which pumps the body at the navel chakra and moves the power up the body, the same way you would use a bellows to fan a small spark into a large flame.
Check out the video below for a short beginner-friendly tutorial for breath of fire.
Kundalini poses are similar to hatha yoga, such as easy pose, child pose and corpse pose. But there are several poses that are particular to Kundalini yoga, including camel ride, spinal twists and sat kriya.
In sat kriya, chanting is key to the pose. The chat is Sat Nam (pronounced Saht-nahm), meaning “I am Truth.” The goal is to work towards your higher self by moving the energy up to the crown chakra and beyond. This is accomplished through bandhas, meaning “locks,” as part of the pose.
Best Yoga Poses for Moving Energy Through Your Chakras
The following yoga poses can help to allow energy to flow freely through the chakras:
- Baddha Konasana (The Bound Angle)
- Virabhadrasana (Warrior I)
- Balasana (Child’s Pose)
- Navasana (Boat Pose)
- Matsyasana (Fish Pose)
- Ustrasana (Camel pose)
Below you’ll find more information on each asana, which chakra it is associated with and tutorials on how to perform each asana.
- Baddha Konasana (The Bound Angle) helps balance your Sacral Chakra, and also lets you release built-up tension and anxiety.
- Performing a headstand asana channels the energy in your Crown Chakra. You stimulate your consciousness with this pose. However, this asana is only recommended for experienced yogi’s.
- Virabhadrasana (Warrior I) forms a solid connection between you and the earth. This asana can release stale energy built up in your Root Chakra.
- Balasana (Child’s Pose) roots your Third Eye chakra. This boosts your intuitive nature, and allows you to harness your deep wisdom.
- Navasana (Boat Pose) stimulates your solar plexus chakra. This form connects you to your center, and can release blocked energy.
- Matsyasana (Fish Pose) clears your throat chakra. This allows you to more freely express yourself and to channel your unique voice.
- Ustrasana (Camel pose) opens up your Heart Chakra and gives access to your deepest ability to love and be loved.